Over the last few weeks thousands of Irish mobile device users have been bitten by what seems like a major phenomenon called Pokemon Go, all ages of people from tech savvy 6 year olds to business men are going around the country looking for big animated characters to collect in their phones, but this could be huge for business Owners, wishing to entice new customers into their premises.
What is Pokemon GO?
Pokemon Go is an “augmented reality” app that uses real locations to encourage players to wander and explore, looking for Pokemon around your location through your smartphone.
Users can venture around their locality looking for Pokémon, Pokestops and Gyms, all associated with real-world locations as well as find other fellow trainers.
How does it work?
The Pokémon GO app alerts users of nearby Pokémon, landmarks and gyms as well as fellow trainers and events.
Players can scan their surrounding area and, if lucky, find nearby wild Pokémon. Their area could be the local village, the green area or even your inside your own office or shop.
How can business owners take advantage of it?
Pokémon Go allows business owners to buy “Lures,” which will entice Pokémon Go users to come to a particular location. So, a local business, such as a restaurant, retail shop, or even an event can purchase “Lures” called “Lure Modules” in the app, and draw these users to its location.
Pokémon Go has created hundred and thousands PokéStops and Gyms in a lot of areas based on game usage. Check the area around your business to see if there’s already a stop or gym near you. PokéStops and Gyms look like 3D targets as shown in the image above. If your business is a PokéStop, Pokémon Gym, or near one, consider yourself lucky. If not, you can still gain traffic from these places, or you can request your business to become a Pokéstop or Gym on Pokémon’s support page.
- Put up a sign outside your store if you’re a PokéStop or Gym
- Offer a discount to users who are “Level x” on Pokémon Go
- Give customers a small gift with their purchase if they have a specific Pokémon
- Hold a contest outside your business to see who can catch the most Pokémon in an hour and promote the event on Facebook
- Hand out coupons to players on a specific team (There are three teams: Team Mystic, Team Valor, and Team Instinct)
- Promote news about PokéStops, Pokémon Gyms, and lures near your business on your social media accounts
- Decorate your Location with Pokémon art and decorations